If you are packing yourself – here are some tips to make moving as a family fun and easy.
- Color code boxes so movers know which room to bring them to in advance.
- Create an “Essentials” pack with a change of clothes, toothbrushes and toiletries, medications, and your child’s favorite small toys or games to make your first night easy without searching through boxes.
- Keep like items together to make unpacking a breeze.
- Keep important documents – birth certificates, licenses, and insurance policies – in one easily accessible place.
Get Everyone Involved!
- Give family members unique colored stickers or labels to identify their own boxes and make a game of packing up individual rooms.
- Make children feel secure about moving by making a special focus on safely moving their special possessions, such as stuffed animals and security blankets.
- Plan a fun outing in your new area, ahead of time if possible, to introduce your family to the fun and happy environment you’re moving to.
Plan Ahead – Relax On Moving Day!!
- Work with your moving company in advance to make a clear, easy to understand plan with all the details of your move.
- If possible, have a babysitter, friend or family member watch your children and pets during the move so you can focus without worrying about them too.
- Pick a moving company you can trust so you can let them worry about the details instead!